Today sees the release of a major update to Road Board
. The most essential app for UK driving instructors just became even more essential!
This release introduces an important feature which I know many users have been waiting for: the ability to save a "live" scene, which continues to be interactive after it has been saved and then later retrieved from memory. Now, when you tap the Save button at the top left of the screen, you will be offered three options:
• Save as static image
• Save as live scene
Save as static image is the same as the original save feature: it simply saves an image of what is on your screen, which can be retrieved later. The saved image will include any drawing which has been retained on the screen using the "Freeze" button.
Save as live scene will remember all that is on your screen so it can be reproduced later in "live" form. When you retrieve the scene from memory, objects you added to the view will appear exactly as they were when you saved the scene and they will continue to be interactive just as they were when you first added them. Signals will also be remembered so indicators will continue to flash after you have called up your saved scene from memory.
Email simply takes a snapshot of what is on your screen and places it into an email composer which allows you to add any relevant text, input an address to send it to, and (as long as you are connected to the internet) send the image via email.
More features added to Road Board in this update:
• Cars can now show brake lights & reverse lights - triple tap the car to access these options
• Basic traffic lights can now be used for pelican crossings - double tap the traffic light when it's showing red to trigger the flashing amber light
• You can now adjust the pen size when drawing
• New items have been added including a sharp corner (which can be used to replace the more rounded corners)
• A couple of new road users have been added, including a special guest among the ORUs
• An updated and expanded user manual has been added - tap the "i" button and select "Help" to see it
• Full support for Retina displays
• Various bug fixes, usability tweaks and other minor enhancements
As always, I've tested all the new features and am not aware of any bugs in the app at the time of release. However, there is always the possibility that one or more bugs will have crept in along with the many changes made to the app. Please don't hesitate to get in touch
and let me know if you find anything that seems to be amiss.
If you don't already own a copy of Road Board, I suggest you get yourself along to the App Store and grab yourself a copy now!